A brief apology for these tips being out of order. I drafted this one some time back and forgot to post it.
In his Concise Guide to Technical & Academic Writing, David Bowman lists a set of principles. These principles apply to good business writing as well, so I thought they were worth quoting here.
- The reader is more important than the writer.
- The style must be consistent with the purpose.
- Clear, simple writing increases understanding.
- Logical organization shows how ideas connect.
- The reader needs to know how to find information.
- Information sources must be given credit.
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and word choice enhance credibility.
Follow these principles and your writing is sure to improve.