In this tip I want to share six important ideas with you. I call them the 6Cs.
- Concise: Time is money. Avoid wasting other people’s time and make your writing easy to read. Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.
- Correct: Your business writing is you representing the company. Consider the company’s image. Spelling and grammar are important so proofread carefully.
- Courteous: Be polite. Sometimes when we are emotional we write things that are damaging or even rude. Write quickly, but stop before you hit the send button. Reread before you send. Remember your writing is representing the company, and yourself, and reputation is important.
- Clarity: Make sure that your writing is precise and your meaning is absolutely clear. Ask a colleague to check what you have written and to let you know if there are any ambiguities you missed.
- Complete: Include all the information you need to include.
- Coherent: Ensure you have a logical flow of ideas and that your writing isn’t jumping all over the place.
PS You can download a pdf version of The 6Cs of Business Writing.
I created the infographic in Canva.